The singular lesson that I learned from my recent fitness journey has been that right nutrition supports the building of a healthy immune system.
Most working professionals skip breakfast and sometimes lunch too – they end up stacking their stomach with coffee/tea and biscuits/junk snacks. Towards afternoon, they are so hungry that they gobble up pretty much anything that comes their way. To top this, there is near-zero presence of exercise in their life & regular late nights to meet deadlines. The life of students and homemakers is no different, tasty junk food, irregular eating habits is a norm that is being followed across all ages.
All this contributes not only to an expanding waistline but also lower stamina, health issues and reduced immunity that reduces the ability to fight off diseases.
Research has proven that good nutrition is important for supporting a strong immune system.
We learned the importance of a balanced meal during our school days. However, over the years, despite knowing the importance, most of us fail to implement it in our daily lives.
The basic building blocks of good health & immunity are nutrients like Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc, Other nutrients, including vitamin B6, folate, selenium, iron, as well as prebiotics, probiotics.
It is important to get adequate amounts of the following nutrients to support your immune health:
- Protein is needed for the building of antibodies and immune system cells. In addition, some of the amino acids that make up proteins are important fuels for cells in the immune system.
- Vitamin A helps regulate the immune system and protect the body against infections by keeping skin and tissues in the mouth, stomach, intestines and respiratory system healthy.
- Vitamin C helps the body build healthy skin and connective tissue, which helps to block the entry of foreign microbes. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant that protects cells (e.g., cells of the immune system) from damage caused by free radicals.
- Vitamin E works as an antioxidant, protecting cell membranes from damage due to free radicals. Healthy cell membranes help keep foreign microbes out.
- Vitamin D helps to activate immune cells and properly regulate their function.
- Zinc is needed for wound healing and for cellular reproduction, which is important in the synthesis of new immune system cells.
- Other nutrients, including vitamin B6, folate, selenium, iron, as well as prebiotics, probiotics, also promote proper immune responses.
It is essential that the daily diet includes the right mix of nutrients to protect oneself and support immune health. unfortunately, our daily diet doesn’t contain all the nutrients that are required for building a robust immune system.
That is the reason why health experts recommend a regular intake of vitamins and protein supplements like Ensure that comes with nutrients that help in you getting your share of a complete and balanced diet.
Inadequate nutrition makes an individual susceptible to infection due to reduced immunity. It throws the individual into a vicious cycle causing reduced immunity, leading to infections that further reduce immunity.
In order to have a good immune system that functions correctly, one needs to consume healthy food and fortify one’s immunity with the right vitamin and protein supplements. It’s the right thing to do if one wishes to enjoy a long and healthy life.
I agree with you.
A balanced diet is much needed.
One mustn’t skip meals.
LikeLiked by 1 person