Here’s my story: I lost 25 kgs in two years despite being a working mother with two growing kids. I have a business to run, a blog to update regularly, hectic life as a social media influencer, co-owner of a theatre group, aspiring author, editor, writer. Apart from all this, I am a fitness freak and a sportsperson. My elder one has just completed 9th grade and my younger one will be entering grade one soon. I am the eldest daughter-in-law in a North Indian family.
I am often asked: How do you find the time to follow your fitness routine?
Some tips to get you started on the health transformation journey:
- Fall in love with yourself
- Understand that fitness is most important
- Don’t join because of force or peer pressure
- Prioritize between fitness and ill-health
- If you fall ill, it will inconvenience your whole family
- Identify a class or activity that you love
- Set aside 2 hours from your busy day for yourself
- Ensure your children & spouse/family are also busy around the same time
How to generate a fitness regime and stick to it?
Build fitness into your daily routine
What is your daily routine like? Is there a way you can squeeze in just 2 hours for yourself? If the answer is NO then you are not ready for a health transformation journey.
If the answer is ‘maybe’ then you can explore these time bands:
- Early morning: Can you wake up 30 minutes earlier and practice Pranayam or light Yoga?
- Mid-morning: If you are a home-maker after kids leave for school, husband for office and in-laws needs are taken care of
- Lunch: Most offices have a 30-minute lunchtime. Office-goers can consider taking a 20-minute brisk walk after lunch
- Afternoon: Homemakers can consider a quick trip to a fitness class instead of taking the afternoon nap
- Evening: This is my favourite time of the day. My children swim/cycle or go for gymnastics while I pursue aerobics and yoga. I return home with them just in time for dinner.
- After dinner: Take a brisk walk or cycle below your building. Do light exercises at home.
If none of these time bands suit you, then you must know that you are sitting on a ticking bomb of ill-health.
The choice is YOURS!
How to stick to a fitness regime?
I suggest you treat your fitness regime like a new relationship you are embarking upon.
- Set out the boundaries and expectations at the beginning itself.
- When you begin, please tell yourself that this is a year-long commitment.
- Weigh the pros and cons of a commitment to fitness.
Stay tuned for more posts in this series: My secrets to health transformation
I really hope my post and the #BlogchatterA2Z series on my blogzine inspires you.
Do write in your queries, suggestions and comments. Would love to read and respond.
Dear Reader: You must know that I am not a healthcare expert and nor am I posing to be one through this series. I am sharing my personal experiences and journey. I urge you to speak to your healthcare professional before trying anything in this series.