I come across many people experiencing weight-gain, tiredness and nausea despite taking care of their health. It was only when I attended a talk on #RuleOutThyroweight, did I learn about the concept of Thyroweight that can throw life off-balance. Thyroweight is weight gain and tiredness experienced under thyroid disorder.
I hope that this blog post will help my friends to manage their thyroid issues and get their life back on track.
Association of Thyroid Disorder & Weight
Scientific evidence states:
- “In general, 5-10 lbs of body weight may be attributable to thyroid disorder, depending on the severity of hypothyroidism”
- “Weight gain, fatigue, lethargy, hair loss among the most common symptoms experienced by thyroid suspects”
‘For more information please visit: http://thyroidindia.com/thyroweight/
Market research studies corroborates:
- 8 Mn – obese/overweight females unaware/undiagnosed
- Thyroweight (Weight gain, lethargy, tiredness) – most common symptoms faced by suspects/patients
- Small weight gain, lethargy, and other symptoms, are generally ignored at the patient front – and does not become an interaction topic between the doctor and the patient.
Thyroid disorder is one of the most common endocrine disorders worldwide. Hypothyroidism is a common but under-diagnosed disorder because of its non-specific clinical presentation. Primary hypothyroidism is an abnormality in the thyroid gland itself— it can be sub-clinical or overt. Untreated hypothyroidism may lead to serious cardiovascular and neurological complications.
Listening to Dr. Shehla Shaikh at the #RuleOutThyroWeight event was certainly an eyeopener. The best part is, if managed well, a person can live a full life without any issues.
One in 10 people suffer from Thyroid Disorder in India. Most cases, thyroid disorders go undiagnosed and hamper with daily living of an individual for generic nature of the symptoms.
Dr. Shaikh highlighted that:
1. Thyroid disorder is an auto-immune disease. It cannot be cured, however it can be managed effectively through medicines and proper care
2. Cruciferous Vegetables that must be avoided if one has thyroid.
3. If one is experiencing sudden weight gain/loss, hairfall, fatigue, memory loss, lethargy then one should get a thyroid test done immediately to rule out thyroid disorder.
4. Issues of small weight gain is usually not associated with thyroid, Dr. Shaikh urged that it needs to be checked upon asap.
5. There are two types of thyroidism, hypo thyroidism and hyper thyroidism. Comparitively, hypo thyroidism is easier to manage.
6. Thyroid patients must know and believe that this issue can be managed and one can live a full life with medication.
7. The dosage of each individual varies and must be customized as per the body type and extent of problem.
Acclaimed Actress, Juhi Chawla was at the event to enlighten us with her personal experiences. She shared, “My husband, sister and father-in-law are taking thyroid treatment for many years on. The good news is that people on Thyroid medication live a full life. Jaan hai toh jahan hai…take care of yourself.”
Juhi also spoke of her hairdresser facing thyroid issues and how a simple diagnosis and a tiny pill has helped put the lady’s life back on track. Throughout the talk, Juhi spoke passionately about how the problem can be diagnosed easily and that treatment of the same is easily available and not complicated at all.
Everyday Heroes: It was heartening to see so many people share the problems faced by them or their near and dear ones at the event. They all conquered their health problems and lead a life that is as fulfilling as others. My neighbour was suffering from sudden weight gain and despite all remedies including strict diet and walk regime, she was unable to bring her weight down. She went in for a thyroid test and was detected with hypothyroidism. She was immediately put on a simple medication and corrective diagnosis plan. She is now living an extremely healthy and more importantly happy life.
Early detection is critical and helpful: It is important that readers introspect and see whether they are facing thyroid issues. A simple test can help detect thyroid problems and arrest the symptoms.
So, how to check if you are suffering from a thyroid disorder? What are the tests that one should undergo to rule out this health issue?
Early diagnosis & proper medication comes as a huge relief for thyroid patients. Juhi’s message to all the women out there was: “If you are fit, everyone around you will be well. Don’t ignore the signals your body is giving you.
If you are facing Thyroweight (weight-gain, lethargy and tiredness) don’t wait for the problem to escalate. Just go and get a TSH test done. It’s a simple blood test that can be included as a regular blood profile. Its a simple treatment for a balanced life despite thyroid problems.
‘Disclaimer: I attended a discussion on thyroid awareness facilitated by Abbott India Limited. Any opinion expressed in this blog is my personal opinion and not the opinion of Abbott India Limited. Abbott India Limited does not assume any liability for the content of the blog. The blog post is not meant to be a replacement for a doctor consultation, nor is it a medical recommendation or prescription of treatment for people having thyroid problems. Any reader of this blog suffering from thyroid problems should specifically consult his/her doctor for the same and follow the suggested course of treatment.’
Here are some popular health-related posts from my blog: Read NOW